Thursday, March 6, 2014

Ready to roll!

Well, Miz B is on the trailer and locked down for the trip to the hill country of central Texas for the 2014 MAFCA National Tour of the Texas Hill Country.  I do have a small concern before we begin the trip.

On Tuesday, I decided it was time to go to the grocery store.  So, off I went in Miz B.  It was a miserably cold day.  Rainy, cloudy, and windy.  Yuck!  Anyway, shopping done, Liz and Jacob's supper in the crock pot and I was running my last errands before final packing for the trip to Texas.  This is when I had my moment of - OH, NO!!!  I'm driving down the road at a nice clip - about 46mph, when I noticed water on the windshield.  Well, it was nasty and I immediately thought that it was a big rain storm.  WRONG!!!   I happened to look at the radiator cap and noticed foam.........  Not the best thing to see coming from one's radiators cap.....  Well, the temperature was just fine and with an adjusted slower speed, the foaming stopped.  

Well, after a call to our mechanic, we decided that - because he was quite sick, it would not be the best idea to replace the head gasket, but maybe the cause of the foam.  We made a call to Prestone; because, we do have plain water with Prestone Anti Rust in the radiator - no antifreeze.  The engineer we spoke with had no experience with antique cars, and did not know how to advise us.

We made the decision to purchase a new head gasket - just to be prepared if the existing one really does go bad.  We are prepared for the worst and hoping for the best.  Torque wrench and new head gasket is in the trunk - just in case.

So, tomorrow morning, we are heading out for a fun tour.  Our first stop will be Mobile, Alabama.  We are hopeful that the predicted rain will be a bit north of our travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment